Operations Engineer – Legacy Platform Services (REMOTE)
We are Systematix and we are looking for a seasoned Operations Engineer – Legacy Platform Services to fill a full-time permanent REMOTE position with one of our key clientele in the financial services industry in Toronto.
About the Project
The position of Operations Engineer, Legacy Platform Services requires an energetic individual who is a self-starter, a creative problem solver and someone who can lead and who is committed to excellence and execution. This is a highly collaborative and communicative role working with internal teams and external service providers to deliver best-in-class production control and operational services.
This position will encompass administering current applications, managing scheduled deployments, maintaining change control activities, leading new projects, defining and implementing efficiencies, overseeing all automated job scheduling and ticket resolution and the monitoring of all production and non-production environments to identify and correct any operational issues.
About the Responsibilities
1. Provide timely and effective service and support to assigned business units, client groups and managed service provider.
- Direct the successful execution of application job schedules in the Control-M automated scheduler
- Release and deploy applications and development projects between environments.
- Prioritize, document and manage development and implementation of enhancements and changes.
- Monitor and manage access/permissions for security systems.
2. Ensure that accurate scheduling and constant availability of jobs, tasks and services to consistently meet business expectations and service standards.
- Document and maintain service level objectives, as appropriate.
- Review system logs, security logs, operations logs, problems, incidents and changes daily and take immediate action to develop, implement and communicate solutions
- Prepare and communicate agendas, invite and confirm the participation of interested stakeholders and act as chair of the scheduled production support and operations meetings.
- Develop reports and dashboards to help manage and maintain SLA objectives.
- Investigate any anomalies of service levels and apply appropriate corrective action(s).
3. Manage system performance and capacity through active monitoring and analysis.
- Monitor batch processing and take corrective action to minimize downtime and/or delays.
- Monitor and manage disk and tape usage; backup frequency and execution.
- Automate code promotion and maintenance related tasks wherever possible.
- Support the creation of efficient backup and recovery methods.
- Develop and maintain Disaster Recovery documentation and procedures. Participate in Disaster Recovery planning and testing exercises.
4. Maintain all production support and operational procedures.
- Identify opportunities and implement solutions to streamline and automate production batch operations.
- Manage and maintain application source code library management system.
- Contribute to the review and analysis of new business, rule changes or system changes that impact our environment and perform testing.
- Manage and maintain all file, database and data storage environments following best practices and in accordance with data retention and destruction policies.
5. Lead Operations projects including the preparation and execution of project plans for the rollout of new initiatives, updates and upgrades to existing systems and applications.
- Organize project meetings, develop schedules, coordinate testing, management and CAB presentations and change controls; and maintain project logs and minutes.
- Assist in development and update implementation and conversion documentation.
- Participate in the testing of conversion plans and identifying areas of concern prior to implementation.
- Validate and verify that the deployed solution meets corporate standards.
- Maintain incident, problem, service request and change management documentation and attend change management meetings as operations lead.
6. Other duties as required.
About the Requirements
- Post-secondary school education in related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience with the operation of a z/OS, CICS, VSAM and Db2 environment; an understanding RACF security
- Minimum of 5 years experience with BMC Control-M or equivalent scheduler in a multi-platform environment and related job scheduling concepts
- Minimum of 5 years experience with the operations of a multi-platform environment AIX/UNIX/Linux, IBMi and Windows servers and command and scripting languages
- Minimum of 2 years of Leadership / Team Lead experience required
- An understanding of mission critical applications and be able to assess the risk and impact associated with change
- Demonstrated experience monitoring systems, applications and components
- Experience operating in ITIL Framework for Change, Incident and Problem Management
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Project Management experience with solid presentation skill
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with internal and external business contacts
- Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills to foster collaboration among team members and functional areas.
About the Role
This is a full-time permanent position that can be done fully remotely from anywhere in Canada reporting to client’s main office based in the downtown Toronto financial district.
If you are interested in finding out more, please contact us or submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, if you know someone who meets these qualifications, please forward this assignment opportunity to them.
Systematix is one of Canada’s largest privately-owned National Consulting and Resourcing firms. With offices across North America we provide the highest caliber consulting solutions to a diverse client base that includes all levels of Government and private industry sectors.
Systematix is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
At Systematix, we bring people and projects together!