Network Operations Centre (NOC) Technician
We are Systematix and we are currently looking for a Level 2 NOC Technician to fill an entry-level fulltime permanent role with one of our key non-profit clientele in Toronto.
About the Project
Our client is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators – fostering a community of more than two million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, as well as the majority of Ontario’s school boards. The organization enables ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through their network, facilitating collaboration and providing the community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
As a Level 2 NOC Technician, you will have responsibility mostly for routing and switching, and also for monitoring and responding to service-affecting issues across client’s network (alarms, email, phone) as well as incident management coordination with Network and Security operations team members. This crucial role acts as the main focal point for Operations communications, Incident and Change Management, as well as provides operational metrics to the Community and senior management. Requiring great communication skills, sound judgement and an ability to prioritize, this role is an excellent opportunity to advance your networking and service management skills while making a real difference to the critical infrastructure Services the organization provides to Ontario’s research and education community.
This position reports directly to the Director, Network Infrastructure and Operations, and will work closely with Network Engineering and Security Operations technical team members.
This is an ideal role for a recent graduate with some relevant experience who is an outgoing self-starter with exceptional customer service skills who can work with a small, tight-knit team with minimal supervision.
About the Responsibilities
- Act as Primary point of contact for Constituent technical issues and questions; via email and phone calls
- Incident management; including engagement of Tier 2 Resolver teams and internal/external communications
- Alarm monitoring, triage and escalation (various NMS tools)
- Change management tracking, including notifications and maintenance of a Global Change Calendar
- Ticket management, adherence and reporting
- ITSM process ownership, including recommending and leading improvement initiatives
- Routing and switching and potential opportunity for some field installation and repair work
- Network technical troubleshooting (mainly IP but some optical transport would be great)
About the Key Performance Metrics
- Customer satisfaction related to overall support experience
- Various ITSM metrics including network availability, incident MTTR, FCR, repeats, Change success rate
- Ticket adherence and reporting
- Quarterly dashboard creation
- Knowledge articles created and/or processes improved
About the Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and a strong customer focus
- Sound judgement and ability to make decisions and prioritize work, often with incomplete information
- Attention to detail
- Previous IT or network monitoring and support, including general networking knowledge (Cisco, Juniper, Nokia, Ciena management platforms and troubleshooting) and ticket management
- Understanding of vendor and Facilities management (from an Operations perspective)
- Strong teamwork and sense of ownership for the customer experience and service delivery excellence
- Consulting skills (e.g. come up with ideas to make it better then implement them).
- Familiarity with network fundamentals regarding Layer 3 and Layer 2 concepts and protocols, such as OSPF, ISIS, BGP, IPv4, IPv6, STP, MPLS and L2VPN would be a strong asset.
- Familiarity with transport technologies such as DWDM and optical transceivers is a plus.
About the Requirements
- ITIL Foundations certification is an asset
- Valid G drivers’ licence
- Post-secondary degree, preferably in a STEM field; or equivalent work experience
- 2 years hands-on work experience in IT or network administration would be a strong asset.
Must have valid Ontario G Class driving license.
About the Role
This is a full-time permanent position that offers flexibility and exceptional work-life-balance and benefits within a non-profit organization that values education and community. Work is mostly onsite at client Toronto offices. Lots of growth opportunity for an independent professional who wants to break out of OPS and into management.
If you are interested in finding out more, please contact us or submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, if you know someone who meets these qualifications, please forward this assignment opportunity to them.
Systematix is one of Canada’s largest privately-owned National Consulting and Resourcing firms. With offices across North America we provide the highest caliber consulting solutions to a diverse client base that includes all levels of Government and private industry sectors.
Systematix is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
At Systematix, we bring people and projects together!